Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sun Kil Moon

kozalek2.jpg

2003. That was the year Sun Kil Moon released their debut album Ghosts of the Great Highway, an epic record punctuated with the wry, ironic view of the world as only Mark Kozelek could craft.

An ardent fan of Red House Painters for years, I hadn't even realized Mr. Kozelek was recording under a new moniker until I caught word of last years sublime re-release of Ghosts, which also included a bonus disc (containing the must-have instrumental "Arrival").

I never got into his albums of cover songs he released after Ghosts, though I did entirely enjoy his gorgeous cover of John Denver's "I'm Sorry", which appeared on the tribute record he produced.

On April 1, the new record (aptly titled April) will hit the streets and features the newest collection of original music since Ghosts. Yes, it appears Mr. Kozelek has finally exised all the Modest Mouse and AC/DC covers from his system.

According to rumor, both Will Oldham and Ben Gibbard will provide backing vocals on two separate tracks. Head on over the Caldo Verde Records to hear the sixth track from the album: "Moorestown".

Also dropping the same day is a text titled "Nights of Passed Over", which promises to include the bulk of Mr. Kozelek's lyrics and a wealth of extras such as handwritten notes and concert setlists. As of this writing, there is not any pre-order information on the Caldo Verde website, much to my chagrin.

Undaunted, I pre-ordered my album mere moments ago, as the website promises the first two thousand and eight (get it? ha.) copies will be hand signed by the man himself.

As my luck would have it, I'm probably customer two thousand and nine.

ghostsofthegreathighway.jpg

"Arrival" from Ghosts of the Great Highway (2007 re-release)

No comments: