Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pacific!

pacific_logo.jpg

Disco. I'm not entirely certain why that was the first genre that struck me upon listening to Reveries by Pacific!, but it seems to fit rather well. Reveries is unquestionably retro in spirit, and there is a certain charm in revisiting a long lost friend from the past - but the term disco is still too tainted with seventies absurdity to take it seriously again.

And yet, I'm bereft of a more decorous summarization.

Reveries just recently hit the streets and a few tracks are already burning up my playlist. Specifically, I simply cannot get enough of "Sunset Blvd". At first listen, it sounds like a track from a lost seventies soundcheck. Each successive listen reveals a firm root in the present, while still ringing with all the best intonations of that bygone era.

Call it disco, retro, old-soul, whatever. Suffice it to say Pacific! is in fine form. Pick up the single below, stream a few more tracks at their myspace, then buy the album here.

If "Sunset Blvd" doesn't immediately sell you, I'm willing to bet one listen to "Love Isn't Always On Time" will!

pacific_reveries.jpg

"Sunset Blvd" from Reveries (2008)

No comments: